Friday, March 5, 2010

The Scale Is Finally On My Side



I have lost *drum roll* 12 whole lbs since I started working out and eating healthier. OMG I am too happy right now. So a couple years ago I would have treated myself to a nice fried chicken dinner after a weigh-in like that but not today. I guess that is a good thing because I am changing for the better. I eat good food that is good for me. So in the past I lost weight by exercising and counting calories. I would eat only 1500 calories a day which means that if I wanted to eat fried chicken for dinner I wouldn't eat lunch or I would eat a very light lunch. Well the problem with that diet was that I would go to bed starving because I didn't eat enough during the day. Yeah I lost weight but when I got half way to my goal I didn't feel like counting anymore and gained it all back plus more. This time instead of counting calories I just eat healther foods. You know grilled or baked chicken, frozen veggies, brown rice... you get the picture. If I have a sweet tooth I eat those 100 calorie snacks which are a life saver because I can have oreos and snack cakes without going over board. Another thing I do is I really pay attention to the serving sizes and eat only the recommended serving size. With veggies the serving size is usually 1 cup and that one cup may have about 30 calories so if I am really hungry then I double the serving of veggies but nothing else. I don't use butter in my veggies either. For flavor I use a lot of mrs. dash, garlic, onions, and peppers, it is just as good I promise. If you really like meat, like I do, cook mushrooms with your meat. I love mushrooms and they have a meaty texture so they always satisfy me when I cook them with my chicken or whatever. Ummmm, that is pretty much it. Oh wait all I drink is water lots and lots of water, apple juice sometimes and sweet tea maybe once a week.

As far as my workout goes...I workout twice a day monday-friday and on the weekends I try to rest my body but I usually end up going for a walk around my neighborhood. My workouts are a mix between cardio and strength training. I do a group workout on campus at noon and then in the evenings I work out with my friend Mechelle in her apartment gym. Most of the time I walk/jog on the treadmill for about 45 minutes at a moderated pace 3.0-4.5 mph.

Welp so far its working and I plan to keep it up and we'll see where this goes. If y'all have any questions or any suggestions about what I am doing please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! Keep up the good work! stay motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am. So far its not as hard as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete