Saturday, February 20, 2010

I'm 9 and I Hate My Face/Brownskin Girls Unite



I can kinda relate to the first girl in the video. When I was younger I wanted to be lightskin. My momma only bought us black Barbie dolls but I remember one being lightskin with light brown and blonde straight hair and the other being darkskin with long thick kinky hair. I always wanted to play with the lightskin doll and it wasn't until I got to Spelman (Thank God for Spelman) that I understood why. Lightskin=beauty to me when I was a kid, not to mention my momma is lightskin. I don't wanna blame the media but when all you see is one type of girl in the magazines and stuff it implants something in your brain that tells you this is the way you should look, this is what beauty is. Now that I am an adult I know that I don't have to be lightskin to be pretty and I am a beautiful brownskin woman. In fact I would play with the brownskin Barbie with the big bushy hair today. I want to help other girls be happy with themselves whether they have issues with their weight or skin complexion or whatever makes them feel not so pretty, so I applied for a little sister through the Big Brother/Big Sister program and I should be getting paired up with someone in April.

5 comments:

  1. This is so sad. I dont care for the Tyra show because her approach always turns me off, but this topic is serious especially in the Black community. These young girls are not the only ones who feel they are unpretty because of their skin color or curl pattern. I refuse to entertain people when they have the "light skin/dark skin" war, but i doubt it will ever end. My mother & sister both think that their light skin makes them prettier than the next person if they are brown or dark skin, but we all know im the baddest lol jk. Anyways, i guess we can just blame this on the media like everything else. Lets continue to have race war with in our race instead of uplifting one another right? well i wont be apart of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really sad and you are right about them girls not being the only ones. My little cousins told me that my shoes looked better on my mommas foot because she is lightskin...I don't know what we can do about it because its crazy that in 2010 lightskin vs darkskin is still an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess i cant relate that much. I can understand but not relate because i have never felt inferior to lighter skin. i do agree that the media needs to do a better job of varying the image of "beauty" b/c children need to know that beauty comes in several forms. there is nothing more "ugly" to me than someone who thinks they r inferior b/c of their skin color OR someone who believes they are superior for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what Tyra said is beautiful! Girls like us, don't know that they are really pretty! I think Pearl looks absulutly stunning and 9-12 year olds or more need to know beauty doesn't come in 1 form but many, there's no such thing as ugliness... Only pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can i get the full video of this??

    ReplyDelete