Monday, January 18, 2010

"Well I'm On My Way to the $50 Weave Shop"






So the jingle is a little corny and I admit I was a little apprehensive about getting my hair done there. When I saw the poster driving down I20, I told myself I would never go there to get a sew-in. I thought $50 sewin in Atlanta, must be a jacked up weave. Well I'm eating those words now but the only reason I gave it a try was because my friend told me that she knew people who got their hair done there and their hair looked really good. So I was like whatever I'll give it a try....what do I have to lose right.

Now there are three locations in Atlanta. I went to the buckhead location on W. Wieuca rd, it was really hard to find. I went on Saturday at around 6:00pm as a walkin because they don't accept appointments on the weekend. I strongly suggest you go on appointment day if you can or go as early in the morning as possible on the weekend. I was there until about 1:00am. When I walked in it really was like a weave sweat shop. Its one big room with about 7 stations. There were two "braiders" and 4 "weavers". The chairs were loaded and there were about 5 ladies before me some braided and some not braided. I was one of the last walkins as they stop accepting walkins at 8:00pm though the radio commercial says 9:00pm. After about 2 hours I sat in the chair to get braided then was told to sit back down. Finally at about 11ish it was my turn for the sew down. It took longer because as the night went on a lot of the employees left leaving only two weavers and a braider. While it took forever and I was very irritated and ready to go by the time I was done, I am really pleased with my hair. I did not get the $50 weave but I got the $85 "platinum weave" which is a full sew-in with the net over the braids, it supposedly last 1.5 months longer than without the net. The $50 weave is just the sew-in with some of your hair left out and they won't style it.

Overall I enjoyed The Weave Shop and I will go back. Since I was there so long I was able to observe some of the girls work. So if you go to the buckhead location I suggest you get Shalonda- she is tall, lightskin, and has a long straight weave with bangs or Tasha- She reminded me of Queen Latifah when she was in "The Barbershop". Shalonda from what I seen was the best girl there. She worked fast and all her clients hair was on point and she will be opening her own Weave Shop next month in ATL. Tasha did my hair and she is not as fast as Shalonda but she does a good job too. They all did a pretty good job but there was one and I apologize because I can't remember her name but she had a horrible short curly weave, a rotten tooth, she was short, and skinny. If she is there do not sit in her chair....she takes FOREVER and her weave is not guaranteed to lay flat.

Ummmmm, I think that is all. Oh wait, yeah...it was not the most professional atmosphere but if you don't mind loud talk and gossip then you won't mind it. The only thing that erked the most is how they were openly talking about private business matters in front of customers....I hate that anywhere I go but other than that, I really enjoyed listening to the convos and even chiming in every once in a while.


Oh and I forgot to mention that you must wash and blowdry your hair before you go. These ladies are not licensed therefore they cannot use any chemicals on your hair so whatever moisturizing you want done you need to do all that yourself before you go.


Here is the link:
http://www.theweaveshop.com/georgia

*The top picture is the pic I showed her of how I wanted my hair

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that the hair is not included. I bought two packs of 12" Goddess Remi straight weave from Chapel Beauty on Candler Rd. $50 per bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I miss working in a salon that I was a receptionist at in Idaho. We were the only place that did the tie in method by "hairpolice" (hairpolice.com) that was less harmful for the hair. And since Idaho is so...white (you can thank the LDS church for that!) what people of African descent in the area came in to get their weaves, braids, extensions, and such done. Lots of "gothics" came in too to get their dreadlocks, dread perms, etc...I LOVED that atmosphere because it was so different than a regular shop where people were there for an hour and then left...it takes a full day to do a whole head of hair, plus the steaming and what not...and I loved it. I loved the energy and the people coming in of all different types. That is one thing I can say about having lived there, is that people have to learn to get along and make do, and other than going out and getting a slice of Pizza, a salon is the way to go! And NO one has more fun getting themselves all dolled up than my sistahs, and thats the truth!

    Thanks so much for adding my blog as one that you are interested in following, I am very honoured...

    -xo

    Christopher

    The Diary of a Lost Boy

    ReplyDelete